Who doesn’t love a BBQ? Yep, most people, right!? BBQs are such a brilliant Aussie tradition. Not only are they one of the easiest ways to cook, everything seems to taste better when it’s been cooked on a BBQ.
I thought it was time to whip up some Aussie Chicken Kebabs. These are so simple, but will really up the yumminess factor at your BBQ. If you’re using wooden skewers for your kebabs, then just soak them in a little water in the sink or a bowl for an hour or two before using – this will stop the wood from splintering. If you’re using metal skewers, then you can get started straight away!
I like to leave my chicken in a bowl with the marinade for a couple of hours (but I have made these at the very last minute heaps of times and have only coated it in the marinade for 5-10 minutes). The longer you marinate the chicken, the yummier the flavour will be – BUT they’ll still taste great either way. You can also use fresh or tinned pineapple in this recipe. If you go for the tinned option, look for ‘pineapple chunks’ and drain the liquid off. If you choose to use fresh pineapple, simply cut it into 2cm chunks.
These really are so quick, easy and a total family favourite. Enjoy!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 2cm chunks
- ½ cup Teriyaki marinade
- 2 small zucchinis, cut into 2cm slices
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 2cm chunks
- ¾ cup pineapple chunks
- 12 skewers
- Place the chunks of chicken into a bowl and add the Teriyaki marinade. Stir to coat and leave covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for 2-3 hours (less time is fine!).
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water in the sink or a bowl for 1-2 hours (to stop them splintering).
- Cut the zucchini, capsicum and pineapple into 2cm chunks and set aside.
- Place 1 chunk of marinated chicken onto a skewer followed by a piece of zucchini, repeat with another chunk of chicken and a piece of capsicum, followed by a final piece of chicken and a chunk of pineapple.
- Repeat with the remaining skewers.
- Cook on the BBQ for 15 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. The kebabs are ready when the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Enjoy with a yummy side salad.
What will you be having at your BBQ?