Want to wow the kids at your little ones next birthday party? This awesome party activity will do the trick! Watch as they gaze in amazement at the ever growing mass of foamy liquid. And what is this amazing party trick? Well, it’s Elephant Toothpaste of course!
Yep, it’s not just humans who need toothpaste. Our huge elephant friends do too! And so rather than using up 100 tubes of normal toothpaste, a hugely massive, super-sized toothpaste is in order.
To make a batch of super-cool elephant toothpaste, you will need the following:
- an empty water or soft-drink bottle
- a funnel
- a tray to sit the bottle in
- 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide (this stuff brings back awful teenage memories of bleaching my hair!!) – you can buy this from a hairdressers or chemist
- 2 tbs hot water
- 1 tsp yeast
- food colouring
- dishwashing liquid
How to make elephant toothpaste:
1. Place the empty water or soft-drink bottle into the tray on a flat surface.
2. In a small bowl, add the hot water and the yeast.
3. Carefully funnel the hydrogen peroxide, dishwashing liquid and food colouring into the bottle.
4. Slowly add the yeast and water mixture through the funnel.
5. Ta-da! Watch the elephant toothpaste continue to grow bigger and bigger!
This is such a great party activity. You can get the kids involved too – but just keep any little hands away from the hydrogen peroxide! The food colouring drops will colour the ‘toothpaste’ foam and make it look all the more amazing. Seriously, the kids are going to love this experiment.
Now just a little word of warning… your elephant toothpaste is going to get BIG! So if you can, it’s a great idea to head outside for this party trick. Or alternatively, you can pop a tarp or plastic sheet down inside.
If you’ve got some curious little minds who want to know how this party trick works, then here’s a simple little explanation. The yeast helps the hydrogen peroxide to break down into water and oxygen. From there, the dishwashing liquid joins with the oxygen to make tonnes and tonnes of foam (well maybe not quite that much… but a LOT!). To be honest, there’s no scientific value of the food colouring – it just makes it look so much more amazing!
So there you have it! The most awesome party trick that really will make you king of the kids at the next birthday party you throw!